1. Leave me a comment saying anything random, like your favorite lyric to your current favorite song. Or your favorite kind of sandwich. Something random. Whatever you like.
2. I respond by asking you five personal questions so I can get to know you better.
3. You will update your LJ with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and offer to ask someone else in the post.
5. When others comment asking to be asked, you will ask them five questions.
(1) What is your favorite poem and why?
I don’t think of myself as a poetry person, but I must admit to loving nursery rhymes, “light verse” and limericks, so that’s not entirely accurate. Ogden Nash, A. A. Milne, these guys are super geniuses in my book. This little gem from Dorothy Parker is one favorite:
A medley of extemporanea;
And love is a thing that can never go wrong;
And I am Marie of Roumania.
It’s cynical and optimistic. Not in that order. It was the bridge in a song written by my old band. Not words to live by or anything, but it helps with perspective at times.
(2) Who do you think would be easier to live with, William, Soulless Spike, or Souled Spike? (I don't mean who would you prefer, just who is easiest.)
William is so clueless, I’m afraid I would lose patience with him quickly, and I hate to be cruel. Soulless Spike is so relentless I would be exhausted immediately. That leaves Souled Spike, who might be depressed, but that’s something I could deal with, human to human.
(3) What was your favorite movie as a child?
Oddly, for being such a cinephile, I didn’t see that many movies as a child. There were the annual TV broadcasts of “Sound of Music” and “Wizard of Oz”, in black & white of course, but I lived in a small (no theater) town in the days before home video. I do remember seeing “Sleeping Beauty” and “Yellow Submarine” at about the same time and thought they were both "fab"! “Sleeping Beauty” still holds up, with the stylized gothic (in an art history, not vamp-wear, sense) animation and the fantastic Tchaikovsky score. Plus: Maleficent!
(4) What goal do you most hope to accomplish before you die?
To have my papers in order. Since they presently resemble an avalanche, it’s a greater feat than it sounds.
(5) Which Jossverse character would you most like to be, if you were to be any one of them?
It’s tempting to try on a warrior queen persona, like Buffy, Zoe, or Illyria, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be happy “living by the sword.” Since Tara had a crap childhood and died young, she’s out. Kaylee seems pretty happy and is preternaturally good at what she does, so that’s appealing. She’s also satisfied with simple pleasures, something to which I aspire. It’s hard to imagine such a thing happening, though. I’d probably do best as Giles. He’s educated, had a wild youth (so it didn’t go wasted), sees his purpose in life, even though it’s a struggle, and engages with people on many levels. I’d see that he got more action if I were him, though. And I don’t mean of the demon-fighting variety, either. Could I have Zoe’s looks, Inara’s wardrobe, and Giles’ background? That’d work for me!